BassoonBack To Orchestra /...
How to Apply
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2018 SEASON WILL BE ACCEPTED BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
The Aspen Music Festival and School bassoon department will award up to nine merit-based fellowships that cover tuition and room/board for the summer season. Seven of these fellowships offer the opportunity to play premiere assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. If available, the ACA fellowships (as many as two) come with the opportunity to play for the all-fellowship Aspen Conducting Academy Orchestra. This high-level orchestra is the training ground for the conducting program and offers the opportunity for a student to shine on standard orchestral works. Availability of these fellowships will be posted in early December.
Fellowships are awarded to the most outstanding applicants as deemed by the members of the AMFS Artist-Faculty.
One non-ACA bassoon fellowship is available. One Aspen Conducting Academy Orchestra bassoon fellowship is available.
All bassoon applicants must submit the required bassoon repertoire in INDIVIDUAL AUDIO TRACKS. Bassoon fellowship recipients are chosen from the general pool of applicants.
- MOZART: Bassoon Concerto in B-flat major, K. 191 (1st movement to the end of exposition); accompaniment not required
- STRAVINSKY: The Rite of Spring (opening)
- RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Scheherazade, op. 35 (2nd movement, solo plus the cadenzas)
- RAVEL: Bolero (solo)
- TCHAIKOVSKY: Symphony No. 4 in F minor, op. 36 (2nd movement, solo)
One non-ACA contrabassoon fellowship is available.
ADDITIONAL EXCERPTS FOR CONTRABASSOON FELLOWSHIP CONSIDERATION: please include all repertoire above on bassoon and below on contrabassoon in INDIVIDUAL AUDIO TRACKS.
- RAVEL: Mother Goose Suite (solo)
- RAVEL: Piano Concerto for Left Hand in D major (solo)
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 5 in C minor, op. 67 (4th movement, Allegro, m. 374-464)
- J. S. BACH: Suite No. 1 for Unaccompanied Cello in G major, BWV 1007 (Gigue)
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than three months prior to application.
- Each excerpt or work must be played through without stopping.
- All excerpts and works must be uploaded in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.