Bassoon Back To Orchestra /...
The Aspen Music Festival and School bassoon department offers the opportunity to play premier assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. For details on the student orchestral experience, please see the Orchestra/Instrumental program page.
Note: Not all bassoon students are expected to play contrabassoon in orchestra. However, those who have the ability and interest will be given opportunities. Please bring your contrabassoon if possible.
Please see our Fellowships and Financial Aid page to learn more about our many fellowship and scholarship opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION OPEN SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
STANDARD BASSOON REPERTOIRE
All bassoon applicants must submit the required standard bassoon repertoire in individual video tracks.
- MOZART: Bassoon Concerto in B-flat major, K. 191 (1st movement to the end of exposition); accompaniment not required
- STRAVINSKY: The Rite of Spring (opening)
- RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Scheherazade, op. 35 (2nd movement, solo plus the cadenzas)
- RAVEL: Bolero (solo)
- TCHAIKOVSKY: Symphony No. 4 in F minor, op. 36 (2nd movement, solo)
CONTRABASSOON FELLOWSHIP CONSIDERATION
Please include all repertoire above on bassoon and below on contrabassoon in individual video tracks.
- RAVEL: Mother Goose Suite (solo)
- RAVEL: Piano Concerto for Left Hand in D major (solo)
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 5 in C minor, op. 67 (4th movement, Allegro, m. 374-464)
- J. S. BACH: Suite No. 1 for Unaccompanied Cello in G major, BWV 1007 (Gigue)
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than three months prior to application.
- Each excerpt or work must be played through without stopping.
- All excerpts and works must be uploaded in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.