How to Apply
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2018 SEASON WILL BE ACCEPTED BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
Audition Repertoire (VIDEO required)
The Aspen Music Festival and School flute department will award up to four merit-based fellowships that cover tuition and room/board for the summer season. Two of these fellowships offer the opportunity to play premiere assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. If available, the ACA fellowships (as many as two) come with the opportunity to play for the all-fellowship Aspen Conducting Academy Orchestra. This high-level orchestra is the training ground for the conducting program and offers the opportunity for a student to shine on standard orchestral works. Availability of these fellowships will be posted in early December.
Fellowships are awarded to the most outstanding applicants as deemed by the members of the AMFS Artist-Faculty.
The non-ACA flute fellowship is available. Both Aspen Conducting Academy Orchestra flute fellowships are available.
All flute applicants must submit the required flute repertoire in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS. The flute fellowship recipient is chosen from the general pool of applicants.
- MOZART: Flute Concerto in G major, K. 285c (K. 313) (1st movement); accompaniment not required
MOZART: Flute Concerto No. 2 in D major, K. 314 (1st movement); accompaniment not required
- BEETHOVEN: Leonore Overture No. 3, op. 72b (m. 328-360)
- BRAHMS: Symphony No. 4 in E minor, op. 98 (4th movement, m. 97-105)
- MENDELSSOHN: A Midsummer Night’s Dream, op. 61 (Scherzo, two before Reh. P to end)
- RAVEL: Daphnis et Chloé, Suite No. 2 (three after Reh. 176 to two after Reh. 179)
- A French conservatory piece (i.e. Faure or Enescu); accompaniment not required
The non-ACA piccolo fellowship is not available.
ADDITIONAL EXCERPTS FOR PICCOLO FELLOWSHIP CONSIDERATION: please include all repertoire above on flute and below on piccolo in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS.
- VIVALDI: Piccolo Concerto in C major, RV 443 (1st movement); accompaniment not required
- BERLIOZ: Dance of the Sprites from La damnation de Faust, op. 24 (Presto after Reh. 9)
- RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Scheherazade, op. 35 (4th movement, m. 17 to 28 after Reh. V)
- TCHAIKOVSKY: Symphony No. 4 in F minor, op. 36 (3rd movement, Scherzo, two after Reh. E to Reh. G and 4th movement, m. 3 to 12 after Reh. H)
- RAVEL: Daphnis et Chloé, Suite No. 2 (three after Reh. 156 to two after Reh. 159)
- SCHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 6 in B minor, op. 54 (three measures after Reh. 8 to the third beat at Reh. 10)
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than three months prior to application.
- Each excerpt or work must be played through without stopping.
- All excerpts and works must be uploaded in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.
It is expected that all flute students will share the piccolo and alto flute responsibilities/opportunities at Aspen. Please bring your piccolo and alto flute if you have one.