How to Apply
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2018 SEASON WILL BE ACCEPTED BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
The Aspen Music Festival and School French horn department will award up to eight merit-based fellowships that cover tuition and room/board for the summer season. Five of these fellowships offer the opportunity to play premiere assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. The ACA fellowships (as many as three) come with the opportunity to play for the all-fellowship Aspen Conducting Academy Orchestra. This high-level orchestra is the training ground for the conducting program and offers the opportunity for a student to shine on standard orchestral works. Availability of these fellowships will be posted in early December.
Fellowships are awarded to the most outstanding applicants as deemed by the members of the AMFS Artist-Faculty.
Five non-ACA horn fellowships are available. Availability of fellowships with the Aspen Conducting Academy will be posted in early December.
All horn applicants must submit the required horn repertoire in INDIVIDUAL AUDIO TRACKS. The horn fellowship recipient is chosen from the general pool of applicants.
- STRAUSS: Til Eulenspiegel (first horn solo at the beginning and third horn solo in D horn at the recapitulation)
Please choose one selection from each bullet along with the piece above to add up to four.
- One of the following MOZART Concerti; accompaniment not required
Horn Concerto No. 2 in E-flat major, K. 147 (1st movement)
Horn Concerto No. 3 in E-flat major, K. 447 (1st movement)
Horn Concerto No. 4 in E-flat major, K. 495 (1st movement)
- RAVEL: Piano Concerto in G major
BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 7 in A major, op. 92 (1st movement, Vivace, measure 84-101 or 25 before C until C, 1st horn)
Wagner: From Götterdämmerung (Siegfried's Short Call)
- SHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 5 in D minor, op. 47 (1st movement, low tutti)
BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 3 in E-flat major, op. 55 "Eroica" (Scherzo trio, second horn)
R. Strauss: Don Quixote (Variation VIII, second horn, six measures before Reh. 59 to eight measures after Reh. 62)
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than three months prior to application.
- Each excerpt or work must be played through without stopping.
- All excerpts and works must be uploaded in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.