The Aspen Music Festival and School French horn department offers the opportunity to play premier assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. For details on the student orchestral experience, please see the Orchestra/Instrumental program page.
Please see our Fellowships and Financial Aid page to learn more about our many fellowship and scholarship opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION OPEN SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
All horn applicants must submit the required horn repertoire in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS. Do not include your name in the video title or description.
- STRAUSS: Til Eulenspiegel (first horn solo at the beginning and third horn solo in D horn at the recapitulation)
Please choose one selection from each bullet below, along with the piece above, for a total of four works.
- One of the following MOZART Concerti; accompaniment not required
Horn Concerto No. 2 in E-flat major, K. 147 (1st movement)
Horn Concerto No. 3 in E-flat major, K. 447 (1st movement)
Horn Concerto No. 4 in E-flat major, K. 495 (1st movement)
- RAVEL: Piano Concerto in G major
BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 7 in A major, op. 92 (1st movement, Vivace, m. 84-101 or 25 m. before Reh. C until C, 1st horn)
Wagner: From Götterdämmerung (Siegfried's Short Call)
- SHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 5 in D minor, op. 47 (1st movement, low tutti)
BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 3 in E-flat major, op. 55 "Eroica" (Scherzo trio, 2nd horn)
R. Strauss: Don Quixote (Variation VIII, second horn, 6 m. before Reh. 59 to 8 m. after Reh. 62)