How to Apply
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2018 SEASON WILL BE ACCEPTED BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
The Aspen Music Festival and School oboe department will award up to four merit-based fellowships that cover tuition and room/board for the summer season. Two of these fellowships offer the opportunity to play premiere assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. If available, the ACA fellowships (as many as two) come with the opportunity to play for the all-fellowship Aspen Conducting Academy Orchestra. This high-level orchestra is the training ground for the conducting program and offers the opportunity for a student to shine on standard orchestral works. Availability of these fellowships will be posted in early December.
Fellowships are awarded to the most outstanding applicants as deemed by the members of the AMFS Artist-Faculty.
The non-ACA oboe fellowship is not available. Availability of fellowships with the Aspen Conducting Academy Orchestra will be posted in early December.
All oboe applicants must submit the required oboe repertoire in INDIVIDUAL AUDIO TRACKS. The oboe fellowship recipient is chosen from the general pool of applicants
- Two solo pieces (minimum four minutes each); accompaniment not required
- Three standard orchestra excerpts
The non-ACA English horn fellowship is available.
ADDITIONAL EXCERPTS FOR ENGLISH HORN FELLOWSHIP CONSIDERATION: please include all repertoire above on oboe and below on English horn in INDIVIDUAL AUDIO TRACKS.
- BERLIOZ: Roman Carnival Overture, op. 9 (beginning to modulation)
- DVOŘÁK: Symphony No. 9 in E minor, op. 95, "From the New World" (2nd movement, principal solo)
- FALLA: The Miller's Dance from The Three-Cornered Hat (solo)
- ROSSINI: Overture to William Tell (solo)
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than six months prior to application.
- Each excerpt or work must be played through without stopping.
- All excerpts and works must be uploaded in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.
It is expected that all oboe students will share the English horn responsibilities/opportunities at Aspen. Please bring your English horn, if you have one, and reeds and the equipment needed to make new English horn reeds. Bring a device for supporting the weight of the instrument, if needed.