The Aspen Music Festival and School tuba department offers the opportunity to play premier assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. For details on the student orchestral experience, please see the Orchestra/Instrumental program page.
Please see our Fellowships and Financial Aid page to learn more about our many fellowship and scholarship opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION OPEN SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
All tuba applicants must submit the following repertoire in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS.
- CASTEREDE: Sonata for Tuba (2nd movement); accompaniment not required
- REVUELTAS: Sensemaya, (Reh. 2 to 11)
- WAGNER: Meistersinger Overture, (Reh. J to L)
- BERLIOZ: Hungarian March (first entrance F arpeggio for 20 m.)
- WAGNER: Ride of the Valkyries
- MAHLER: Symphony No. 1 (3rd movement first entrance, hold the last D for four measures)
- PROKOFIEV: Symphony No. 5, (1st movement, Reh. 3 to 7 m. after Reh. 5)
- BERLIOZ: Corsair Overture (Reh. 5 through 9 m. after Reh. 5 and Reh. 12 to the downbeat of Reh. 13)
- MAHLER: Symphony No. 5 (3rd movement, 13 m. before Reh. 16 to Reh. 17)
- WAGNER: Ein Faust Overture: m. 1-3
EUPHONIUM (full session only)
To be considered for euphonium placement, please submit the following excerpt in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS.
- ARBAN: Fourteen Characteristic Studies (select one)
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than three months prior to application.
- Each excerpt or work must be played through without stopping.
- All excerpts and works must be uploaded in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.