Cello Back To Orchestra /...
The Aspen Music Festival and School cello department offers the opportunity to play premier assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. All students 18 and older play in orchestra. Students under the age of 18 do not play in orchestra but may participate in private lessons and chamber music. For details on the student orchestral experience, please see the Orchestra/Instrumental program page.
Please see our Fellowships and Financial Aid page to learn more about our many fellowship and scholarship opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION OPEN SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
AMFS ALUMNI: Note that audition requirements have changed significantly from prior years.
STANDARD REPERTOIRE (applicants 18 and older)
Audition repertoire must be submitted IN THE ORDER LISTED in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS. All repertoire should be unaccompanied.
- At least 5 minutes from an important movement of a major concerto demonstrating your virtuosity and musicianship
- A complete movement of a solo work of your choice not less than 3 minutes
- STRAUSS: Don Juan (opening 9 measures, 7 m. before Reh. G to Reh. H, and Reh. R to Reh. T)
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 5 (2nd mvt, opening 10 bars, m. 49 – 59, m. 98 – 106)
- SCHUMANN: Piano Quartet (3rd movement, m. 3-18)
YOUTH REPERTOIRE (applicants 17 and younger)
Audition repertoire must be submitted in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS. Accompaniment not required.
- Any movement of a concerto and a contrasting piece
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than three months prior to application.
- Each excerpt or work must be played through without stopping.
- All excerpts and works must be recorded in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.