ClarinetBack To Orchestra /...
How to Apply
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2019 SEASON WILL BE ACCEPTED BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
The Aspen Music Festival and School clarinet department will award up to six merit-based fellowships that cover tuition and room/board for the summer season. Four of these fellowships offer the opportunity to play premiere assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. If available, the ACA fellowships (as many as two) come with the opportunity to play for the all-fellowship Aspen Conducting Academy Orchestra. This high-level orchestra is the training ground for the conducting program and offers the opportunity for a student to shine on standard orchestral works. Availability of these fellowships will be posted in early December.
Fellowships are awarded to the most outstanding applicants as deemed by the members of the AMFS Artist-Faculty.
All clarinet applicants must submit the required standard clarinet repertoire. Applicants interested in a clarinet fellowship must also submit the E-flat clarinet repertoire, and applicants interested in a bass clarinet fellowship must also submit the bass clarinet repertoire. Each list must be submitted in a separate track (3 separate tracks, if applying for both fellowships).
STANDARD CLARINET REPERTOIRE:
This list must be submitted IN THE ORDER LISTED.
- MOZART: Clarinet Concerto in A major, K. 622 (1st movement exposition)
- MENDELSSOHN: A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Scherzo, beginning to B and D to G)
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 6 (2nd movement, m. 68-78)
- SHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 9 (2nd movement, m. 1-32)
- BRAHMS: Symphony No. 3 (2nd movement, beginning to letter B)
- RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Capriccio Espagnol, Op. 34 (from letter C for 21 bars)
- RAVEL: Daphnis et Chloé (Suite No. 2, beginning to 3 after reh. 157 and reh. 212 to end)
Availability of the non-ACA clarinet fellowships will be posted by September 15, 2018.
ADDITIONAL EXCERPTS FOR SECOND AND E-FLAT CLARINET FELLOWSHIP CONSIDERATION: To be considered for clarinet/E-flat clarinet, this list must be submitted IN THE ORDER LISTED..
- RAVEL: Bolero (Reh. 3 to Reh. 4)
- BERLIOZ: Symphonie fantastique, op. 14 [5th movement, Allegro, for 26 measures (Reh. 63 to 5 after Reh. 64)]
- SHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 5 in D minor, op. 47 (2nd movement, Reh. 49 to 5 after Reh. 50 and Reh. 53 to 1 after Reh. 54)
- SHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 6 in B minor, op. 54 (2nd movement, Reh. 34 to Reh. 37)
- RAVEL: Piano Concerto in G major (1st movement, Reh. 18 to Reh. 19 and 9 before Reh. 35 to Reh. 35; and 3rd movement, Reh. 1 to six after Reh. 1)
- RAVEL: Daphnis et Chloë, Suite No. 2 (one before Reh. 157 to Reh. 161, Reh. 200 to six after Reh. 203, and Reh. 214 to four after Reh. 220)
At least one non-ACA bass clarinet fellowship is available.
ADDITIONAL EXCERPTS FOR BASS CLARINET FELLOWSHIP CONSIDERATION: To be considered for bass clarinet, this list must be submitted IN THE ORDER LISTED.
- MEYERBEER: Les Huguenots [5th Act (cadenza starting on clarion F)]
- SCHUMANN: Symphony No. 3 in E-flat major, op. 97 (toccata section solo to m.170)
- KHACHATURIAN: Piano Concerto (2nd movement solo, 220 to low C)
- GROFÉ, Grand Canyon Suite [section 3 ("On the Trail") from Reh. 2 to Reh. 3]
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than three months prior to application.
- Each excerpt or work must be played through without stopping.
- All excerpts and works must be uploaded in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.
It is expected that all clarinet students will share the B-flat, A, E-flat, and bass clarinet responsibilities/opportunities at Aspen. Please bring these instruments if you have one.