Clarinet Back To Orchestra /...
The Aspen Music Festival and School clarinet department offers the opportunity to play premier assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. For details on the student orchestral experience, please see the Orchestra/Instrumental program page.
Note: It is expected that all clarinet students will share the B-flat, A, E-flat, and bass clarinet responsibilities/opportunities at Aspen. Please bring these instruments if you have one.
Please see our Fellowships and Financial Assistance page to learn more about our many fellowship and scholarship opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION OPEN SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
STANDARD CLARINET REPERTOIRE
All clarinet applicants must submit the required standard clarinet repertoire in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS. Each excerpt should be recorded on a separate track. Do not include your name in the video title or description.
- MOZART: Clarinet Concerto in A major, K. 622 (beginning to m. 127)
- MENDELSSOHN: Symphony No. 3 in A minor, op. 56 (2nd movement, beginning to m. 67)
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 8, op. 93 (3rd movement, Trio, with repeat)
- BRAHMS: Symphony No. 3 (1st movement, m. 36-47)
- RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Capriccio Espagnol, op. 34 (3rd movement, 11 m. after K to end)
- RAVEL: Daphnis et Chloé Suite No. 2 (3 m. before Reh. 213 to end)
- COPLAND: Clarinet Concerto (Cadenza)
SECOND AND E-FLAT CLARINET FELLOWSHIP CONSIDERATION
To be considered for clarinet/E-flat clarinet, this list must also be submitted in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS. Do not include your name in the video title or description.
- RAVEL: Bolero (Reh. 3 to Reh. 4)
- BERLIOZ: Symphonie fantastique, op. 14 [5th movement, Allegro, for 26 measures (Reh. 63 to 5 m. after Reh. 64)]
- SHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 5 in D minor, op. 47 (2nd movement, Reh. 49 to 5 m. after Reh. 50 and Reh. 53 to 1 m. after Reh. 54)
- SHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 6 in B minor, op. 54 (2nd movement, Reh. 34 to Reh. 37)
- RAVEL: Piano Concerto in G major (1st movement, Reh. 18 to Reh. 19 and 9 m. before Reh. 35 to Reh. 35; and 3rd movement, Reh. 1 to 6 m. after Reh. 1)
- RAVEL: Daphnis et Chloë, Suite No. 2 (1 m. before Reh. 157 to Reh. 161, Reh. 200 to 6 m. after Reh. 203, and Reh. 214 to 4 m. after Reh. 220)
BASS CLARINET FELLOWSHIP CONSIDERATION
To be considered for bass clarinet, this list must also be submitted in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS. Do not include your name in the video title or description.
- MEYERBEER: Les Huguenots [5th Act (cadenza starting on clarion F)]
- WILLIAM SCHUMAN: Symphony No. 3 (toccata section solo to m. 170)
- KHACHATURIAN: Piano Concerto (2nd movement solo, 220 to low C)
- GROFÉ, Grand Canyon Suite [section 3 ("On the Trail") from Reh. 2 to Reh. 3]