Double BassBack To Orchestra /...
How to Apply
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2018 SEASON WILL BE ACCEPTED BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
Audition Repertoire (VIDEO required)
The Aspen Music Festival and School double bass department will award up to fourteen merit-based fellowships that cover tuition and room/board for the summer season. Ten of these fellowships offer the opportunity to play premiere assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. The ACA fellowships (as many as four) come with the opportunity to play for the all-fellowship Aspen Conducting Academy Orchestra. This high-level orchestra is the training ground for the conducting program and offers the opportunity for a student to shine on standard orchestral works.
Fellowships are awarded to the most outstanding applicants as deemed by the members of the AMFS Artist-Faculty.
All applicants will be considered for fellowship. In the event that a fellowship is not awarded, General Admission applicants may also be considered for need and/or merit-based scholarship. A financial aid form must be submitted in order to be considered for need and/or merit-based scholarship opportunities.
Audition repertoire must be submitted IN THE ORDER LISTED, recorded WITHOUT ACCOMPANIMENT, on ONE TRACK, without breaks, and with NO SPLICING. Auditions that do not comply with these guidelines will not be considered.
- Any movement from a Bach Cello Suite
- MOZART: Symphony No. 35 in D major (4th Movement m. 134 to m. 181)
- BRAHMS: Symphony No. 2 in D major (4th Movement m. 244 to m. 279)
- HAYDN: Symphony No. 31 in F major (bass solo, no repeats)
- STRAUSS: Ein Heldenleben, Op. 40 (2 bars before 61 to 64)
*Double bass fellowships are chosen from the general pool of applicants.
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than three months prior to application.
- All excerpts and works must be recorded in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.