Flute Back To Orchestra /...
The Aspen Music Festival and School flute department offers the opportunity to play premier assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. For details on the student orchestral experience, please see the Orchestra/Instrumental program page.
Note: It is expected that all flute students will share the piccolo and alto flute responsibiliites/opportunities at Aspen. Please bring your piccolo and alto flute if you have one.
Please see our Fellowships and Financial Aid page to learn more about our many fellowship and scholarship opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION OPEN SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
STANDARD FLUTE REPERTOIRE
All flute applicants must submit the required standard flute repertoire in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS.
- MOZART: Flute Concerto in G major, K. 285c (K. 313) (1st movement); accompaniment not required, but encouraged
MOZART: Flute Concerto No. 2 in D major, K. 314 (1st movement); accompaniment not required, but encouraged
- BEETHOVEN: Leonore Overture No. 3, op. 72b (m. 328-360)
- BRAHMS: Symphony No. 4 in E minor, op. 98 (4th movement, m. 97-105)
- MENDELSSOHN: A Midsummer Night’s Dream, op. 61 (Scherzo, 2 m. before Reh. P to end)
- RAVEL: Daphnis et Chloé, Suite No. 2 (3 m. after Reh. 176 to 2 m. after Reh. 179)
- A French conservatory piece (i.e. Fauré or Enescu); accompaniment not required, but encouraged
PICCOLO FELLOWSHIP CONSIDERATION
Please include all repertoire above on flute and below on piccolo in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS.
- VIVALDI: Piccolo Concerto in C major, RV 443 (1st movement); accompaniment not required, but encouraged
- BERLIOZ: Dance of the Sprites from La damnation de Faust, op. 24 (Presto after Reh. 9)
- RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Scheherazade, op. 35 (4th movement, m. 17 to 28 after Reh. V)
- TCHAIKOVSKY: Symphony No. 4 in F minor, op. 36 (3rd movement, Scherzo, 2 m. after Reh. E to Reh. G; and 4th movement, 3 m. after Reh. H to 12 m. after Reh. H)
- RAVEL: Daphnis et Chloé, Suite No. 2 ( 3 m. after Reh. 156 to 2 m. after Reh. 159)
- SCHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 6 in B minor, op. 54 (3 m. after Reh. 8 to the third beat at Reh. 10)
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than three months prior to application.
- Each excerpt or work must be played through without stopping.
- All excerpts and works must be uploaded in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.