Flute Back To Orchestra /...
The Aspen Music Festival and School flute department offers the opportunity to play premier assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. For details on the student orchestral experience, please see the Orchestra/Instrumental program page.
Note: It is expected that all flute students will share the piccolo and alto flute responsibiliites/opportunities at Aspen. Please bring your piccolo and alto flute if you have one.
Please see our Fellowships and Financial Aid page to learn more about our many fellowship and scholarship opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION OPEN SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
STANDARD FLUTE REPERTOIRE
All flute applicants must submit the required standard flute repertoire in 6 INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS.
- MOZART: Flute Concerto in G major, K. 285c (K. 313); 1st movement; accompaniment not required, but encouraged
MOZART: Flute Concerto No. 2 in D major, K. 314; 1st movement; accompaniment not required, but encouraged
- BEETHOVEN: Leonore Overture No. 3, op. 72b; m. 328–360
- BRAHMS: Symphony No. 4 in E minor, op. 98; 4th movement, m. 97–105
- MENDELSSOHN: A Midsummer Night’s Dream, op. 61; Scherzo, 2 m. before Reh. P to end
- RAVEL: Daphnis et Chloé, Suite No. 2; 3 m. after Reh. 176 to 2 m. after
- A French conservatory piece (i.e., Fauré or Enescu); accompaniment not required, but encouraged
PICCOLO FELLOWSHIP CONSIDERATION
Please include all repertoire above on flute and below on piccolo, for a total of 12 INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS.
- VIVALDI: Piccolo Concerto in C major, RV 443; 1st movement; accompaniment not required, but encouraged
- BERLIOZ: Dance of the Sprites from La damnation de Faust, op. 24; Presto after Reh. 9
- RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Scheherazade, op. 35; 4th movement, m. 17 to 28 after Reh. V
- TCHAIKOVSKY: Symphony No. 4 in F minor, op. 36; 3rd movement, Scherzo, 2 m. after Reh. E to Reh. G; and 4th movement, 3 m. after Reh. H to 12 m. after Reh. H
- RAVEL: Daphnis et Chloé, Suite No. 2; 3 m. after Reh. 156 to 2 m. after
- SCHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 6 in B minor, op. 54; 3 m. after Reh. 8 to the third beat at Reh. 10
As of September 2022, the piccolo fellowship is not available for 2023. However, applicants are encouraged to submit materials for consideration in the event a position becomes available.