THE AMFS IS NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS TO THIS PROGRAM.
The Aspen Music Festival and School harp department will award one merit-based fellowship that covers tuition and room/board for the summer season. This fellowship offers the opportunity to play premiere assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. Fellowships are awarded to the most outstanding applicants as deemed by the members of the AMFS Artist-Faculty. All applicants should submit the financial aid form for access to need-based financial assistance, should a fellowship not be awarded. Assistance can range from partial to full to tuition. Some scholarships include room and board as well. Awards are based on a combination of merit and need.
There is one harp fellowship available for the 2021 season.
How to Apply
APPLICATION OPEN SEPTEMBER 1
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
Audition Repertoire (VIDEO required)
STANDARD HARP REPERTOIRE
All harp applicants must submit the standard repertoire in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS
- DEBUSSY: Danse Sacrée et Profane (Danse Sacrée, beginning to Reh. 2; Danse Profane, “le double moins vite”- 9 m. before Reh. 5 to the a tempo “animez”) (no accompaniment required)
- HANDEL: Concerto in B flat Major, op, 4, No. 6 (1st movement, any edition, first half only)
- VERDI: La forza del destino, Overture (from Reh. G “Allegro Brillante” to downbeat of Reh. H)
- WAGNER: Die Meistersinger (Act 3 excerpt - click for PDF)
- BARTOK: Concerto for Orchestra (4th movement – dotted quarter before Reh. 43 to 16 m. after Reh. 43)
- BRITTEN: Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra (Harp Variation ”Cadenza”, Harp 1)
ADDITIONAL EXCERPTS FOR FELLOWSHIP CONSIDERATION: please include all repertoire above and below in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS.
- A short solo of your choice (any style or period)
- WAGNER: Firemusic (1st harp part, m. 1674 to downbeat of m. 1692 - include the 2nd harp part m. 1678-1681 and continue m. 1682 of 1st harp part)
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than three months prior to application.
- Each excerpt or work must be played through without stopping.
- All excerpts and works must be uploaded in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.