How to Apply
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2019 SEASON WILL BE ACCEPTED BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
The Aspen Music Festival and School oboe department will award up to four merit-based fellowships that cover tuition and room/board for the summer season. Two of these fellowships offer the opportunity to play premiere assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. If available, the ACA fellowships (as many as two) come with the opportunity to play for the all-fellowship Aspen Conducting Academy Orchestra. This high-level orchestra is the training ground for the conducting program and offers the opportunity for a student to shine on standard orchestral works. Availability of these fellowships will be posted in early December.
Note: It is expected that all oboe students will share the English horn responsibilities/opportunities at Aspen. Please bring your English horn, if you have one, and reeds and the equipment needed to make new English horn reeds. Bring a device for supporting the weight of the instrument, if needed.
Fellowships are awarded to the most outstanding applicants as deemed by the members of the AMFS Artist-Faculty.
The non-ACA oboe fellowship is available.
All oboe applicants must submit the required oboe repertoire in INDIVIDUAL AUDIO TRACKS. The oboe fellowship recipient is chosen from the general pool of applicants
- Two solo pieces (minimum four minutes each); accompaniment not required
- Three standard orchestra excerpts
Availability of the non-ACA English horn fellowship will be posted by September 15.
ADDITIONAL EXCERPTS FOR ENGLISH HORN FELLOWSHIP CONSIDERATION: please include all repertoire above on oboe and below on English horn in INDIVIDUAL AUDIO TRACKS.
- BERLIOZ: Roman Carnival Overture, op. 9 (beginning to modulation)
- DVOŘÁK: Symphony No. 9 in E minor, op. 95, "From the New World" (2nd movement, principal solo)
- FALLA: The Miller's Dance from The Three-Cornered Hat (solo)
- ROSSINI: Overture to William Tell (solo)
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than six months prior to application.
- Each excerpt or work must be played through without stopping.
- All excerpts and works must be uploaded in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.