The Aspen Music Festival and School oboe department offers the opportunity to play premier assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. For details on the student orchestral experience, please see the Orchestra/Instrumental program page.
Note: It is expected that all oboe students will share the English horn responsibilities/opportunities at Aspen. Please bring your English horn, if you have one, and reeds and the equipment needed to make new English horn reeds. Bring a device for supporting the weight of the instrument, if needed.
Please see our Fellowships and Financial Aid page to learn more about our many fellowship and scholarship opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION OPEN SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
STANDARD OBOE REPERTOIRE
All oboe applicants must submit the standard required oboe repertoire in 5 INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS.
- Two solo pieces (minimum four minutes each); accompaniment not required
- Three standard orchestra excerpts
ENGLISH HORN FELLOWSHIP CONSIDERATION
Please include all repertoire above on oboe and below on English horn, for a total of 9 INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS.
- BERLIOZ: Roman Carnival Overture, op. 9 (beginning to modulation)
- DVOŘÁK: Symphony No. 9 in E minor, op. 95, "From the New World" (2nd movement, principal solo)
- FALLA: The Miller's Dance from The Three-Cornered Hat (solo)
- ROSSINI: Overture to William Tell (solo)
As of September 2022, the English horn fellowship is not available for 2023. However, applicants are encouraged to submit materials for consideration in the event a position becomes available.