Percussion Back To Orchestra /...
The Aspen Music Festival and School percussion department offers the opportunity to play premier assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. For details on the student orchestral experience, please see the Orchestra/Instrumental program page.
Please see our Fellowships and Financial Aid page to learn more about our many fellowship and scholarship opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION OPEN SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
Audition repertoire must be submitted IN THE ORDER LISTED BELOW. VIDEO recording is required, on ONE TRACK, without breaks, and with NO SPLICING. Auditions that do not comply with these guidelines will not be considered.
- One movement of a Bach sonata, partita or suite for violin, lute, or cello
- J. DELECLUSE: Etude No. 6, from 12 Studies for Snare Drum
- PROKOFIEV: "Lieutenant Kije" (1st movement, m. 6-37, 57-61 and 85-98)
- RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Capriccio espagnol (4th movement, beg. To Reh. M)
- GERSHWIN: Porgy and Bess (beg. to B)
- MESSAIEN: Oiseaux Exotiques (6 to 7 and 26 to 28)
- STRAVINSKY: The Firebird (127 to 133)
- DVORAK: Carnival Overture (beg. to C & 8 bef. U to end)
- DVORAK: Scherzo Capriccioso (Q to end)
- BARTOK: Concerto for Orchestra (4th movement, m. 42-50)
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 9 (1st movement, 18 bars before S to end)
- TCHAIKOVSKY: Symphony No. 4 (1st movement, 2 before Reh. T to U)
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than three months prior to application.
- Each excerpt or work must be played through without stopping.
- All excerpts and works must be uploaded on one track in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.