PercussionBack To Orchestra /...
How to Apply
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2019 SEASON WILL BE ACCEPTED BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
The Aspen Music Festival and School percussion department will award up to two merit-based fellowships that cover tuition and room/board for the summer season. The Charles Owen percussion fellowship offers the opportunity to play premiere assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. If available, the ACA fellowship (1) comes with the opportunity to play timpani for the all-fellowship Aspen Conducting Academy Orchestra. This high-level orchestra is the training ground for the conducting program and offers the opportunity for an Aspen percussion student to shine on standard orchestral works. Availability of this fellowship will be posted in early December.
All percussion applicants must submit the required percussion repertoire. All full session percussion applicants are eligible for the Charles Owen Memorial Fellowship, awarded to the most outstanding percussion applicant as judged by the members of the AMFS Percussion Artist-Faculty.
Audition repertoire must be submitted IN THE ORDER LISTED BELOW. VIDEO recording is required, on ONE TRACK, without breaks, and with NO SPLICING. Auditions that do not comply with these guidelines will not be considered.
- One movement of a Bach Sonata, Partita or Suite for Violin, Lute, or Cello
- J. DELECLUSE: Etude No. 9, from 12 Studies for Snare Drum
- D. SHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 10 (2nd mvt., reh. 98 to the end)
- PROKOFIEV: Symphony No. 5 (2nd mvt., reh. #37 to reh. #40)
- SHOSTAKOVICH: The Age of Gold (Polka, m. 6-14)
- KODÁLY: Háry János Suite (mvt. VI - m.4 to reh. #1, reh. #7-reh. #8, reh. #10 to end)
- WILLIAM SCHUMANN: Symphony No. 3 (m. 230-244)
- BIZET: Carmen (Aragonaise - m. 1-18, 1 before reh. A to reh. B + 17) (Danse Bohème - 3 before reh. D through 3 after E; 3 after reh. L to 5 after M)
- MUSSORGSKY: Night on Bald Mountain (S to T)
- HOCHRAINER: Etude #50, Book 2 (no repeats)
- ELGAR: Enigma Variations (mvt. VII, reh. #23 - #25)
- BRAHMS: Symphony No. 1 (1st mvt., beg. To C & 4th mvt., 9 after Q to end) *skip long sections of rests, but leave small amount of space in recording that denotes skipped rests
- STRAVINSKY: Le Sacre du Printemps (103 to 117 & 189 to end)
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than three months prior to application.
- Each excerpt or work must be played through without stopping.
- All excerpts and works must be uploaded on one track in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.