Violin Back To Orchestra /...
The Aspen Music Festival and School violin department offers the opportunity to play premier assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. All students 18 and older play in an orchestra. Students under the age of 18 do not play in orchestra but may participate in private lessons and chamber music. For details on the student orchestral experience, please see the Orchestra/Instrumental program page.
Please see our Fellowships and Financial Aid page to learn more about our many fellowship and scholarship opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION OPEN SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
STANDARD REPERTOIRE (applicants 18 and older)
Audition repertoire must be submitted IN THE ORDER LISTED in 5 INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS. All repertoire should be unaccompanied.
- First movement exposition from a standard concerto of the 19th or 20th century (with no cadenza).
*If performing Sibelius, play until 5 after Reh. 7 including the cadenza.
- MOZART: First movement exposition of Violin Concerto No. 3, 4, or 5 (exposition only, no cadenza)
- STRAUSS: Don Juan (beginning to 14 after C)
- MENDELSSOHN: A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Scherzo, m. 17-99)
- BEETHOVEN: String Quartet Op. 18, No. 4 in C minor (beginning to measure 13)
*String orchestra placement assignments will be determined for enrolled students based on faculty review of the student’s admission audition recordings.
YOUTH REPERTOIRE (applicants 17 and younger)
Audition repertoire must be submitted in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS. Accompaniment not required.
- First movement of a concerto (7 minutes minimum) and a contrasting piece