ViolinBack To Orchestra /...
How to Apply
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2018 SEASON WILL BE ACCEPTED BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
Audition Repertoire (VIDEO required)
The Aspen Music Festival and School violin department will award up to thirty-seven merit-based fellowships that cover tuition and room/board for the summer season. Seventeen of these fellowships offer the opportunity to play premiere assignments alongside artist-faculty from major U.S. orchestras or as principal in a variety of ensembles. The ACA fellowships (as many as twenty) come with the opportunity to play for the all-fellowship Aspen Conducting Academy Orchestra. This high-level orchestra is the training ground for the conducting program and offers the opportunity for a student to shine on standard orchestral works.
Fellowships are awarded to the most outstanding applicants as deemed by the members of the AMFS Artist-Faculty.
Applicants must submit either the General Admission Repertoire OR the Fellowship Repertoire. Those who submit the Fellowship Repertoire will be considered for a full merit award covering the cost of tuition and room/board in school housing or a stipend to be used toward off-campus housing expenses. General Admission applicants may also be considered for need and/or merit-based scholarship. A financial aid form must be submitted in order to be considered for need and/or merit-based scholarship opportunities.
GENERAL ADMISSION REPERTOIRE
Audition repertoire must be submitted IN THE ORDER LISTED.
- First movement of a concerto (7 minutes minimum) and a contrasting piece
(accompaniment not required)
Audition repertoire must be submitted IN THE ORDER LISTED. Fellowship auditions must be recorded WITHOUT ACCOMPANIMENT, on ONE TRACK, without breaks, and with NO SPLICING. Auditions that do not comply with these guidelines will not be considered.
- Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 3 in G major, K. 217 (1st movement exposition only)
Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 4 in D major, K. 218 (1st movement exposition only)
Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 5 in A major, K. 219 (1st movement exposition only)
- 1st movement of a major concerto (7 minutes minimum; in addition to the Mozart concerto above)
- Brahms: Symphony No. 2 in D major, op. 73 (1st movement, E to F)
- Mozart: Symphony No. 39 in E-flat major, K. 543 (1st movement, beginning to m. 14)
- Mendelssohn: A Midsummer Night’s Dream (scherzo, allegro vivace m. 17-99)
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than three months prior to application.
- All excerpts and works must be uploaded in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.