Aspen Opera Center – Opera CoachingBack To Programs of Study
The Aspen Opera Center provides an opportunity for seven collaborative pianists to play for opera and class scene preparation, offer individual coachings, and perform with AOC singers in the weekly Opera Scenes Master Classes. Candidates will be auditioned by Edward Berkeley, director, and Elizabeth Buccheri.
All student-coaches receive fellowships. If you are interested in having a private lesson, these can be arranged with the AOC program administrator after arrival in Aspen. Lessons will be instructed by the senior coaching faculty.
How to Apply
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2019 SEASON WILL BE ACCEPTED BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 15
- Resume required
- Operatic Repertoire List
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
Applicants who are interested in also applying for the Collaborative Piano program must submit a second application. Please contact the Office of Student Services for an application fee waiver.
LIVE Audition Repertoire
Pianists will be required to play and sing the following excerpts:
- STRAVINSKY: The Rake's Progress (Boosey & Hawkes piano/vocal score)
- Tom’s Recitative and Aria, pp. 11-15 (sung in English)
- Ann’s Recitative and Aria, pp. 60-64 (sung in English)
- No Cabaletta
- PUCCINI: Tosca Vissi d’arte (sung in Italian)
The following excerpt will require playing only and does not require singing:
- MOZART: Le nozze di Figaro: Act II Finale
Note: One of the excerpts above will be conducted by an audition adjudicator. Sight reading will be required.