American Brass Quintet Seminar @Aspen Back To Programs of Study
The American Brass Quintet Seminar @Aspen (ABQS @A) is the country’s premier brass chamber music training program for emerging, preformed brass quintets.
Enjoy four weeks of daily, intensive study devoted exclusively to brass quintet repertoire, rehearsal techniques, and performance, led by members of the American Brass Quintet, faculty of the AMFS since 1970 and The Juilliard School since 1987. Participants will also receive weekly private instruction with the members of the ABQ.
In addition to daily coaching and rehearsals, ensembles will participate in a number of events such as open rehearsals of the American Brass Quintet, public performances, master classes, workshops (e.g. composer readings and community engagement activities).
Three 2020 brass quintet fellowship opportunities are available (fifteen individual fellowships) for preformed brass quintets. Fellowships cover tuition and room/board in AMFS housing or recipients can opt to receive a stipend toward off-Campus housing expenses. Fellowships are awarded to ensembles in pursuit of a career in brass chamber music. Up to two additional quintets may be accepted, with little or no financial assistance.
How to Apply
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2020 SEASON WILL BE ACCEPTED BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 4
- Group resume required
- Two letters of recommendation encouraged but not required
- One member of the ensemble should apply under their name on behalf of the group
Audition Repertoire (VIDEO required)
All groups must submit the following repertoire in INDIVIDUAL VIDEO TRACKS.
- EWALD: Moderato (1st mvt) from Brass Quintet No. 1 in B-flat minor
- At least two other contrasting pieces, including one from the Renaissance (16-17th C) and one from 1950-present.
- Recordings must be recent: made no more than three months prior to application.
- Each excerpt or work must be played through without stopping.
- All excerpts and works must be uploaded in the order listed.
- Please label each upload with the name of the excerpt or work. DO NOT include your name.